Friday, June 27, 2008

Radio Rant

I knew there would be things I'd miss about St. Louis, but one thing I didn't really realize until returning to Springfield is radio options.

On the Missouri radio forum that Art Morris has, I posted the following topic:

In no way, shape, or form do I mean any disrespect to anyone in the Springfield region who works in radio with this topic.

I have been a member of this forum for a while and the previous radio forum that went away, and I had always heard people say how Springfield radio sucks and this and that. I never really understood completely. But, I just returned to Springfield last week from living in St. Louis for almost a year. Now I seem to understand what they're talking about.

Why can't Springfield have some decent radio stations that aren't country or poorly compiled adult contemporary stations? Stations like Y98 and Movin' 101 have actual music from today and it's not full of "I wanna like you up and down like a lollypop" music. I don't really understand everything since I've not worked in radio before, but does it cost too much for stations like 105.9 and 95.5 to have a selection of music that reflects today's (not those who can't get out of the 70s and 80s stuff that I've heard ever since I was a kid growing up in little po-dunk Mountain Grove, MO) adult?

It's sad, but I'm honestly considering satellite radio.

It's so true. St. Louis has such a variety of radio stations, and when you turn the radio on, you can expect to hear music you want to hear, and the chances you'll tune in to a commercial are a million times less than Springfield. What's up with that?

Has anyone else jumped on the satellite radio bandwagon?

No comments: