Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I got my vote on

I was in at about 6:20 a.m. and left at about 6:45 a.m. Not too shabby really. I was ballot number 193 at my polling location; I'm assuming that means 192 people had voted in front of me (unless there was another ballot box I didn't see at my polling location), which I would assume is pretty significant since it wasn't even 7 a.m.

A co-worker of mine said it took her an hour and parking was next to nothing where she voted, so I know a lot of people were had a tougher time at the polls.

The only issue I had this morning was at Starbucks. Apparently people are reading my blog, because the line was too freakin' long to wait in to get a free cup of coffee. Funny enough, free coffee from Starbucks and a free doughnut from Krispy Kreme for voting is illegal apparently in certain states like California, Washington, and Georgia (and probably a host of other states).

An article on WMAZ, a CBS affiliate in Georgia, says that offering gifts for participating in an election is illegal:

Georgia Secretary of State Karen Handel is warning business owners throughout the state that offering gifts or incentives for voting is against the law.

"Any person who gives or receives, or offers to give or receive, or participates in the giving or receiving of money or gifts for the purpose of registering as a voter, voting, or voting for a particular candidate in any primary or election shall be guilty of a felony," she stated in the release.

"Business are free to offer ‘Election Day’ specials or sales for all of its customers but gifts, incentives or specials just for voters is prohibited under this provision."

Some businesses in Central Georgia like Starbucks, Krispy Kreme and Shane's Rib Shack have posted signs or ran ads informing people that if they vote, they can get a free cup of coffee, doughnut or meal deal.


Apparently in those states where it was illegal, everyone got a free cup of coffee or doughnut whether they had voted or not.

No comments: