Thursday, January 04, 2007

Happy New Year (a few days late)

Happy New Year. Resolutions and milestones, in my opinion, aren't any different simply because it's a new year. It's not a new beginning, but rather a continuation of our lives on Earth. No new year's resolutions for me; I just want to live the best life I can and try to draw closer to God.

I've had a lot on my mind lately, mostly because it's about time for me to go back to school. I work at a great school with wonderful faculty and administration. For some reason, I just feel like I walk around lost all the time, though. I don't feel like I'm in the right place, and I feel overwhelmed that I must stay there until June 2 (unless more snow comes). It's not an overwhelmed feeling in that the work load is horrible, but rather knowing that I must continue until summer. I'll make it and do the best I can, but I still dread it. Maybe I can make some kind of difference until I'm out.

After this school year is over, I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do vocationally speaking. I've been praying for a big answer from God on that one. I'm waiting for Him to open a door for me. I'm praying that He'll provide me an opportunity to get into a career I love and make a salary that is more desirable to me. I don't want to make hundreds of thousands of dollars, quite honestly. In my mind, $50,000 to 100,000 a year is what I feel would be the best for me. I would like to be able to afford a few more things without being concerned about making sure I have enough money to do that. I want to be able to get a newer vehicle to replace my 1998 car that is losing its reliability with me. I don't feel like I'm being too greedy with my thoughts financially speaking. Am I being? Is it wrong to have an ideal salary range that would benefit both me and my wife?

I know that the economic gap between the rich and poor in the US is augmenting ever so increasingly. I hope that our government can get that figured out, but since they're all in the upper echelon of our socio-economic scale, I don't think they'll do much to fix the economy — be it Democrats or Republicans. That would affect their paychecks too much. Why can't we have more leaders like Jim Sinegal, the CEO of wholesale warehouse giant Costco (similar to Sam's Club) who makes an annual salary of $300,000. He could make billions like Wal-Mart's leaders, but he has chosen to run a corporation and give real salaries to his employees. Hmmm, what a concept.

On a different note, I took my grandma to town to get her groceries this afternoon. She got her social security check; Uncle Sam has given her a tiny bit of a raise. We had a good time going to the store. I cooked her a chicken noodle casserole dish so that she would eat on it for a few days. She doesn't cook much anymore, and I know she eats too many cookies and sweets. If I take meals to her, she typically eats them. I have to say that if I were 80 years old and couldn't get around too well after suffering the effects of a stroke, I wouldn't really want to do much cooking either.

Well, it's late, and I need to get to bed. I have to get my body used to going to bed and getting up early so when Monday comes, I won't have as bad of a time getting to school and feeling like a human.

¡Hasta luego!

No comments: